Tomato sauce for pizza is the fundamental of a good Italian yeast pie with additives. Some people use ketchup or tomato concentrate (puree) instead of real sauce, but I don't recommend it - the pizza then comes out too sour and chemical in taste. If you like the good taste (and I assume so), take those extra 10 minutes of your time and make a really good sauce - I invite you to my recipe for tomato sauce for pizza and pizza toasts to pair with the second-best pizza dip - the garlic sauce.
Ingredients for pizza tomato sauce - tomatoes (passata, tinned or blended raw - never tomato puree, which is too sour), salt, pepper, sugar, oil, garlic, dried bell pepper (sweet, spicy or smoked), and oregano.
In the off-season, I recommend using canned tomatoes in chopped or whole version. Place such tomatoes in a saucepan and mix them together with the sauce on a perfectly smooth basis. You can also choose passata - tomatoes in the earlier mixed version, sold in glass bottles or cartons. Then you have the product ready to use. If you prefer fresh tomatoes (yummy!), scald them with boiling water beforehand, peel (take off the skin), and mix the pulp.
- 500 g tomato passata or canned sliced tomatoes, or raw, blended tomatoes - never purée/concentrate
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic or bear garlic
- 2 cloves garlic (optional - if you want a slightly spicy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet peppers (plain or smoked)
- Wipe off the fresh garlic and fry for a minute in a hot pan with a little olive oil.
- Pour the passata and oil into the pan and add salt, sugar, pepper and dried garlic, oregano and paprika. Mix.
- Stirring all the time, heat everything to a boil. After boiling, turn off the heat and let it cool down. It's ready!
The sauce made in this way will be delicious and aromatic! It will retain its beautiful red color and perfect texture. I often heat it up in this way even 10 to 15 minutes. A lot depends on whether the tomatoes had a lot of juice or were more "compact". The sauce should come out quite dense!
Tomato sauce and garlic sauce are the best additions to any pizza.